Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Finishing the race set before us.

There were a couple of verses that I was thinking on during worship Sunday morning. Ron went on to talk about Hebrews 12:2 later that morning, but I didn't feel led to interject because he had a good word and was going in a different direction. I want to take a minute and share with you what the Lord was showing me this morning. Also, if you notice anyone that didn't get it, please forward because these were the only email addresses that I had of the attendees from Sunday.

Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the Author (beginning) and Finisher (end) of our Faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Picture a runner before a race, many have on some type of clothing (windsuits, sweatsuits, etc.) over their running shorts and shirts. This other clothing is heavy and bulky. It isn't good running cloths for racing because it is restrictive. It keeps you from reaching your potential. Also, many runners put their running shoes on just minutes before the race because they are lighter and easier to run with, but they aren't always as comfortable as other shoes. Other shoes are built for comfort, but they are often heavier and bulkier.
This is the picture of the first verse, but our problem is that we get consumed with the besetting sin (clothes) and the weights and burdens of life (shoes). We then forget to run the race, or we try to run and tire out because we are dragging to much with us. Then when we try to run, we run it like it is a 100 yard dash instead of a marathon. If we take our eyes off of the finish line we will not make it. A few weeks ago, Peyton and I raced a cross country motorbike race. It was a 1 1/2 hour grueling race in the hills of Sicily Island. My first lap took 23 plus minutes. I was so tired after the first lap that I wanted to quit, but I couldn't quit because I was in third place. I kept telling myself to go just one more lap. Keep pushing and ride one lap at a time. I stayed in third place until the end of the third lap which was over 1 hour into the race. I had told myself that if I was no longer in third (top 3 get a trophy) that I would then quit, but when I came to the finish line, Haven was waving the white flag (which means one more lap). Now I couldn't quit because that would be a horrible example for my son. So I dug deep and finished. I did finish fourth, and I didn't get a trophy. What I did get was the confidence to know that I overcame. Although I lost the race, and some battles, I finished it. I pushed myself farther than I thought I could. Many times in Christ, we give up before we should. We quit right before the breakthrough happens in our lives. We have to look to finish this race no matter what it cost us or how bad it hurts. We need to readjust our sights and focus. We look at the pain when the race gets hard and we want to quit. It does no good to only run 25 of 26 miles in a marathon. You could lead the whole race up to that point, but if you don't finish then you lose all of the reward and prizes. Many grow weary, lose their focus and quit. God will not congratulate us for 25 great miles run in Christ, but will condemn us for not finishing the race in Christ.
Look to Jesus, his last mile was Horrific, but he finished. Why? Quitting or disobedience wasn't an option for him, and his focus was on his Father and His Will for Him. He knew the rewards of finishing the race, and He knew He had to focus on his Goal, God's glory. Through the Cross, God was glorified because sin was defeated, and Jesus took the keys to Hell and Death from Satan.
Now, let's look at another man who had a tough last mile to run, Stephen the Martyr (Acts 7). If Stephen would have backed off his preaching of Truth, this probably wouldn't have been his last mile, but God had greater things planned (Apostle Paul). Stephen had his eyes on the finish line and he saw the reward: (vs. 55-56) - But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up steadfastly into heaven, and saw the Glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, and said Behold, I see the Heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God.
Because of Stephens focus on the reward, Christ himself, he was able to push past all the obstacles, even death itself. Even in his death, with the heart of Christ, he cried out, Lord lay not this sin to their charge. I want that Spirit to richly dwell within me, but it takes obedience, focus, and throwing aside the things that hold us back. Jesus is well worth it.
One more thing that I noticed is that Hebrews 12:2 says ...Jesus is set down (seated) at the right hand of the Throne of God, but Acts 7:55-56 says... Jesus is standing on the right Hand of God. I believe Stephens Obedience and Faith brought Jesus to His feet as He watched what took place with His child. Just as a loved one or coach is standing close to the finish line of a race screaming, "Your almost there!!!" Encouraging that person to finish the race. God also revealed Himself to Stephen to carry him through his persecution and death. The more we obey and walk by Faith, the more the Father will reveal himself to us. The world and the love of the world and its treasures is what blinds us from really seeing God. What in our lives (yours and mine) robs us from seeing God. Every time in Scripture that a man sets himself apart to God for his use, God revealed himself to this man. May we be the people that set themselves apart to see His Holiness.
In Christ,
Scott

1 comment:

Hill Oikos said...

Great word Scott. Thanks